Race/Ethnicity: East Kern County, CA
Native American 1%
Other facts: East Kern County, CA
To read the full East Kern, Co. case study, please click here:
ISSUES TO ADDRESS IN EAST KERN
Physical Activity: Improve availability of parks where the community can exercise and expand physical education in schools.
Food Availability: Increase availability of affordable healthy food options, like fruits and vegetables.
Healthcare Access: Increase access to healthcare providers and preventive services to adequately prevent/treat diseases, thereby reducing costs related to morbidity/mortality.
• Access to walking and biking paths
• Local programs that provide food to low-income families
• Limited access to local clinics
• Family resource center and women’s center.
• Limited public transportation, which hinders residents from accessing medical services, healthy food and physical activity options.
• Limited medical and preventative services
• Lack of education on prevention as a primary health strategy.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
Improve public transit to healthy, affordable food and health services
Create easy access to health-promoting amenities that are walkable/bikeable.
Develop culturally relevant, affordable, and accessible clinical services
Promote city design that encourages walking and biking
Incentivize local business to increase selection of healthy affordable food products and the development of more grocery stores
Expand school meal programs to provide healthy meals all year long
Incorporate healthy eating, physical activity and tobacco-free living into the school’s curriculum
Increase programs for youth outside of school hours that promote a healthy lifestyle
Raise awareness about tobacco and alcohol-free lifestyles
Strengthen multi-sector community partnerships to plan and implement community health initiatives